The Directors, managers and staff of the Metropole Hotel recognise and accept that the activities involved in running the business necessarily impinge upon the environment. In an effort to minimise these effects, the Hotel is committed to a policy of sound and responsible environmental management, leading to a sustainable use of resources and optimal management of waste.
Therefore, the Hotel undertakes that it will:
- ensure that all employees at all levels are aware of the potential environmental effects of their activities and the benefits of improved environmental performance, and will provide specific environmental training to this effect.
- communicate this environmental policy and promote environmental awareness amongst all employees.
- ensure that all employees are instructed on the potential environmental effects of their activities and the benefits of improved environmental performance.
- display this policy statement in a prominent position within the Hotel.
- make this policy statement available to all interested parties on request.
- comply with all applicable environmental legislation as a minimum standard.
- promote the principle of ‘sustainable development’ whereby the present needs of the Hotel will not compromise the abilities of future generations to meet their own needs.
- adopt a policy of ‘green procurement’, taking environmental factors into account in all purchasing and supplier contracts.
- provide organic produce where available and never knowingly use genetically modified ingredients or products;
- take all measures that are reasonably practicable to:
- reduce waste at source;
- re-use waste components where it is safe and practicable to do so;
- recover/recycle those fractions of the waste stream where an outlet is available; and dispose of final wastes by the most environmentally suitable means;
- adopt the practice of responsible energy management through reduced consumption and the encouragement of energy efficiency throughout the business;
- encourage the use of public transport and the provide facilities for the disabled, pedestrians and cyclists; and aim for continuous improvement.
This policy statement will be reviewed annually to ensure that it remains applicable to the activities of the Hotel and any agreements made between the Hotel and its stakeholders.
Signed: Justin Baird-Murray
Position: Managing Director
Date: 3rd Jan 2012